Thursday, June 25, 2009

Before the Rain Came


Time: 11:10am
Place: AYCT front balcony
Circumstances: Right after practice. Really sweaty, sans cushion, nice breeze on the skin.

I am a little amazed at my own inability to remain focused on task when off the cushion, so it should come as no great surprise that the same is true during my practice. My inner dialogue went a little something like this:

"Okay Celeste, let's just start by focusing on the breath"

"I can do that"

"Inhale. Exhale...notice each breath as it comes through your nostrils"

"Okay. I am doing that. Yes - I am breathing"

"Good. Inhale. Exhale. Notice each breath as a breath"

"Yes. Oh hey, I wonder if anyone else from the training is meditating right now! I wonder if they are sitting at the exact same time as me. I wonder if they are breathing like this too..."

"Celeste....notice your inhale, your exhale and stay focused on the breath"

"Oh ya, right. Inhale. Exhale. I am focused on my breath. Inhale. Ex-- Oh my goodness, I am going to go play tennis right after this. I LOVE tennis. I really suck at it right now, but I really love it, and it is such a great thing for Les and I to do together. I really love the neighborhood that we live in. How amazing is it that we live across from a tennis court. Wow. I love my life."

"Celeste..."

And this went on and on for about 15 minutes.

Maybe 15 minutes is too long for me right now. Maybe I need to start with like 3 minutes and build up...

No comments: