Wednesday, June 24, 2009

This Could Be The Start of a Beautiful Friendship

Time: 9:40ish am
Place: Ashtanga Yoga Centre Toronto
Circumstances: Post-Practice in the upstairs "quiet" room

I didn't have a cushion today or anything to lift my hips up - grateful for my open hips and being flexible metaphorically and literally. I set my phone alarm (tried to choose the least obtrusive ringtone - today was crickets - to bring me out - still trying to find a way to have bells bring me out of the sit) for 15 minutes and tried to be aware of my breath.

It has been a while since I had a regular sitting practice. When I was in India, was away from my office, the busy city life, and my regular routines, I found it so much easier to have a daily practice and sit. And I saw the benefits, I just need to build that in to my life regardless of being busy or not. And really, what's 15 minutes?

I noticed when my mind got caught up in its stories and brought it back to my body. It felt like this happened 10,000 times in 15 minutes. Like my mind is a 4-year old hyperactive child off its meds for the summer on a sugar high. A constant practice of patience and compassion.

No comments: