Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Being Consumed by my Consumption?

I noticed today, on a walking meditation through our neighborhood, how easy it was to work out of my consumption habits wine. I realized that my holding on to the occasional drink was just a fabricated story in my head. And then I wondered how I could expand this practice to make it really more challenging for me. What else do I consume mindlessly? This short list came to my head:
Sugar (I think I am a sugar monster sometimes)
Coffee
Coffee with Sugar (Mmmmmmm)
Facebook (often, when writing email, I blink and without realizing it, I am wandering around in the halls of facebook, kind of like a sleepwaker who wakes up not realizing how she got there)

This mindful consumption practice for the last few days I have been enjoying but I think it is something that I want to slowly explore around a bit. I was aware that placing too many restrictions on myself might have a negative effect, but bringing mindfulness to ONE thing I consume habitually without thinking about it at time might be more beneficial. Like tackle one thing at a time.

No comments: