Friday, October 2, 2009

Mindfulness Day

Day of Mindfulness Today: Started with a short, 20 min sit. Awareness of feelings and tracing their roots. Didn’t entirely connect with this practice and will give it another go tomorrow.

Spent a few hours in the morning with gentle house cleaning and enjoyed the quiet hum of the house. It is kind of cool to notice the refrigerator sounds, how the house above ours sounds, the noise from the street outside, and understand what the apartment sounds like without music or a podcast or conversation. That there is a conversation happening between me and the apartment without any words being said.

After the house was clean (or mostly clean), brought my awareness back to myself and reflected in a warm bath, cleaning my hair, and giving some much needed attention to my fingernails (they were getting really weird and long).

Once was clean, took a short walk of mindfulness outside around my neighborhood to absorb the fall colours. When I am not walking with any particular destination, I feel like the opportunity for being mindful arises. It’s as easy as that. I noticed the different vibration in the air with the cooler temperature freshly imported. I brought awareness to my breath and the way the air felt on my cheeks. I felt a calmness and stillness radiate through my body, that when I came home and began my reading for my classes, I was more present and able to concentrate more on my work.

No comments: