Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Noting Desire

Time: 11:30am
Place: New Little Nook
Practice: Noting desire

I really like reading about the exercises about noting desire and working with the different desires that came up. I spoke with Frank about this during one of our phone dates and in reflection now, I do feel like my practicing is growing a bit and changing.

During my sit, I started to note when the thoughts came up, I labeled them as thoughts, and then (like my mind's eye was a computer screen) minimized them for later. When another thought would come up, I started to assess whether they were desires (my foot is cold, was the thought, which I realized was the desire for greater comfort) and then that minimized. It almost felt like I was driving a car. In the main view, through the windsheild, was the present moment or what was happening. I carefully monitored my posture and my breath the way you might monitor your speed and gas levels. And when a random "thing" would jump into my windshield and obstruct my view, I removed it carefully and continued my focus on the present moment.

Oh and here is my new little nook:

2 comments:

poep sa frank jude said...

Thanks for the pics; it's nice to have some idea of where you're sitting. Looks quite comfy!

I LOVE the image of 'minimizing' and think this is a good example of creatively using contemporary experience and environment to offer analogies that make sense to contemporary students. Thanks!

CelesteFaye said...

And it's also a testament of my just staring at my computer screen WAY too many hours.