Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Maybe I'm Getting Up Too Early

Time: 5ammmmmm
Place: Bathroom Floor
Circumstances: No reading this morning, looking at the candle, practice of joy.

The light that I use to read in the AM was not great for Les when she was trying to sleep, so I did my practice in the bathroom. 20 minutes went by really fast, but I also found myself pseudo-sleeping. It's hard to do a sit when you just wake up, I can't even imagine what it would be like at an ashram, waking up a 4am for meds. Wah!

My practice this morning was a little off. I was having a hard time being present with my breath. I would get into a pose and then almost forget where I was or what I was doing. I remember saying that if I practice too late in the day I'm practically useless, well, slowly discovering that too early produces equally interesting outcomes. It's still beneficial though.

1 comment:

poep sa frank jude said...

This sounds like a version of "not too tight; not too loose." OR Goldilocks! :-)
So, what I'm hearing is that you had what Stephen Cope calls a "Hindrance Attack." With sleepiness, or dullness (as in "Sloth and Torpor," -- still think that would make a great name for an emo band or something), there are several 'antidotes.'

One is, quite simply, if you're getting up earlier but not getting to bed earlier, you're probably in need of sleep! So, one option is to change your sleep schedule.

For me, I find that when I wake in the morning, it takes up to 20 - 30 minutes to really 'fully awaken,' so I don't attempt to sit until I've been up at least 15 minutes. In the meantime, I may have a cup of joe, OR do 4 - 6 Sun Salutations. The other best way I have found for me to snap out of the early morning haze is a quick cool to cold shower.

Here's where the fun of experimenting comes in. I look forward to hearing of your future on-going research!

much love to you this morning from the Hungry Ghost Capital of the Western World! (Las Vegas)