Monday, September 14, 2009

School Begins Today

Place: Living room chair
Circumstances: 5:30am, pre-practice, first day of school
Practice: Joy, Happiness, Aware of mental formations calming mental formations

I noticed in both my sitting practice and my asana practice this morning were feeling a little flighty and distracted. I smiled each time I remembered to come back to the practice outlined in BREATHE (which is feeling really nice, by the way) and even though the time went by quickly with both my asana and my sit, they didn't feel as "in the zone" as some of my other days were. First day of school today and I noticed how I am attaching to the idea of getting up at 5am for practice and how I talked about this to my friends. As if I am somehow creating an identity for myself as someone who is dedicated to practicing and gets up early for this. Interesting how we create these stories about ourselves - as if to make that much more dukkha when this ceases to be true. Getting up early does not mean my identity has be wrapped up in this. Oh Ego, how you love defining yourself!

http://againstthestream.org/ - go here and check it out. Great podcasts!

No comments: