Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Place: Living room chair
Circumstances: 5:15am, pre-practice
Practice: Joy, Happiness, Aware of mental formations calming mental formations

Before I do my sit, I am getting into the routine of doing some light reading to bring my practice into context. In addition to reading the selections of MY assigned, I have also been reading this one: Which, I tried to pick up about a year ago and I just wasn't getting into it. This time however, I am actually enjoying it and liking how it links up nicely with the mindfulness practice. While I was reading it, I really got to thinking how the ego does such a great job (as does the rest of the world) of distracting us from what is really important. I noticed that during my sit. I would be aware of the breath and feeling joy in the neutral spaces (sometimes it feels like those neutral spaces crystallize into joy), and then I start thinking about shoes, or toast, or what to wear today - and then I come back again. As if I am "napping awake" through my practice, but also my life, if I want to be honest.


I also noticed that I forgot my micro-practice three mornings in a row. This week I am dressing / undressing mindfully. I smiled when I told myself that mindfulness is remembering and remembering is sometimes half the battle.


1 comment:

poep sa frank jude said...

Hiya Celeste,

I'm glad to hear that sometimes you are finding that the 'neutral' places can transform into joy! This was one of the insights of the Buddha, and one reason he suggests we pay attention to the neutral! He really was no kill-joy! In fact, he was one of the first to point out that when we are not 'feeling' anything, if we are not paying attention, we are driven to pursue sensation. BUT, if we pay attention, we can see and experience a more subtle form of joy and ease. This is important because it points to the possibility of feeling peace, joy and ease without 'needing' a set of conditions we all too easily believe we need!

much love,
frank jude