Saturday, September 19, 2009

We never grow up

Place: Living room (futon this time)
Circumstances: 8:45am, just after reading a little bit and waking up
Practice: Same as the last few weeks

A few things arose in today's practice:

#1) Was actually noticing that I was cool with the joy part and the happiness part, but my mind would actually hesitate around the mental formations part...like some part of the mind knew that if I brought awareness to it, then I wouldn't get to play "Gone With The Wind" this morning. When I brought some awareness to it, it seemed to soften.

#2) There is a 4 year old little boy that lives above us (with his family as well) and he will often run from one end of the floor (our ceiling) screaming like a crazy person. This happens every morning for about an hour and then he may leave, the parents may sedate him, he has moved on to the next floor - I don't know - but it happens every morning. While I was extending my awareness to include him, I was fascinated by how alike my own mind this was. And how in essence, huge parts of us never leave that stage of running around and screaming - except now we just do it in our head.

#3) My mental formations felt like they were getting a little too exciting this morning. I am going to experiment with keeping my eyes partly open tomorrow to see if that helps.

No comments: