Tuesday, October 6, 2009

I am worried about my mind

5:00am sit.
Awareness of Feelings
Living Room Floor

Kind of a random thought during my morning sit, but I was thinking about how great it would be to carve out a little space somewhere in my apartment for my sitting practice. A little Buddha, maybe a photo, a candle - a proper little altar for my practice to have a “home” and then I wondered if this was a way for me to not really be fully INTO this moment of my sit. You know that dialogue “Oh, I’ll really have a good time sitting once I have an altar set up” and how inaccurate this thinking is. Man, my mind is completely insane. If I were to psychoanalyze my mind as if it were an embodied human being, it would get diagnosed as utterly schizophrenic. I’m a bit worried.

2 comments:

Poep Sa Frank Jude said...

Ah, but where is 'your' mind? Once you see that it cannot be found, the 'crazy' nature of it becomes much less scary and/or destructive. It's true! We don't have to believe all these things the mind puts out!

As for an altar, if your intention is to set an 'orientation' point for focused practice, then creating a physical space set aside for formal practice can be a very skillful thing. If it's mere window dressing, forget it....

Thay once said that if you do want to place a buddha statue on your altar, make sure it's one that is pleasant and smiling. Otherwise, just place a flower, or a photo of a smiling child....

have fun...

nicole said...

Minds are like that. It kind of makes me smile... We're a little bit batty, no matter how we attempt to present ourselves.

On a side note, I love the new look of your blog. Hot.

:)