Friday, November 6, 2009

Time: 6:40am
Place: Living room chair
Circumstance: Right before leaving to teach grade 5 - no asana this morn.

I just did a short practice while my breakfast was cooking on the stove. I keep remembering how helpful this practice is when I am teaching my students in class and when I am working with young people. I couldn't imagine teaching without the grounding of this practice. It is even harder for me to imagine parenting without consciousness...and yet, it happens.

I was interested in the posting on the Mindfulness board the other day about "Why are we meditating? Really?" and for me, it really comes down to practice. I tell myself that asana is "practice for real life" - but often I get distracted by the goal of headstand, or the reality that I need to do something to keep my physical body from falling apart and turning into a blobby gross pile of mush. But sitting is different. Sitting really has no inherent value, unless you are using it to come back to yourself and practice your practice of being aware.

No comments: