Friday, March 26, 2010

Creepy Yoga Girl

I remember reading someone's book report on an Iyengar book (sorry, can't remember what one) that said when you are practicing, you should be so focused that you should not even notice what colour the person next to you is wearing.

Thanks Iyengar.

But the reality is, sometimes I can't help but notice my practice neighbor. Especially when they are doing weird / interesting / noticeable / bizarro things.  Okay, perhaps I haven't turned into a full fledged yoga creeper (aka: Ogden in the picture below) - but those wandering eyes of mine have to smarten up.













I find it challenging (right now) when I am going through the series on my own and the person next to me is on the same pose. If they go a little faster, I get worried that I am taking too long of breaths and then if they are slowing down, I get worried that I am going too fast.

And then I had an AHA moment in the middle of my practice, when I remembered my struggles with doing something awesome and no streamers falling from the sky...if my practice neighbor goes fast or slow or stops or skips a pose ... nothing will happen. The tricky thing is to take that understanding and move it out of just understanding it cognitively and actually practicing it. Good thing I'll be back at it again shortly!

No comments: