Monday, March 29, 2010

Touchy Touchy

I just want to put it out there: yoga people make incredible friends and an incredible community of people to be a part of! I spent my evening last night at a Moksha workshop for hands-on adjustments and I had the best time. Not just because I got to hang out for two hours with some wonderful people that make my insides smile, but also because it was great to share knowledge with other experienced teachers.

Annette and Michelle have a great way of being delightfully inappropriate and funny...because let's face it, hands-on adjustments can be a pretty touchy subject (and yes, pun totally intended). I've had students in class request to get a push on their lower back (sometimes some students ask for that one every time, which gets to be a bit much) and then other students who specifically tell me that they DO NOT want to be touched. With any aspect of teaching, the more you do it, the better you get and the more confident you become with your practice. And then you can become too confident or just not be aware of your own energy while you are teaching. I couldn't help but think of this picture I saw once through the entire workshop:


I pray that while teaching I never do harm and that whatever adjustments I do are either neutral or for my students' benefit.

I also pray that this photo is actually photoshoped...

Oh and if you want to check out the workshop I speak of, it's recorded live and can be found here: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/5793191

No comments: