Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Poetry in the Lanes

I was walking to school this morning and decided to take a different route. There are not that many different ways to get to school - it's one turn and then a long straight 4 blocks...but there is a laneway that I decided to explore...have you heard of it? BpNichol Lane they call it and it is just about as cute as button.

I actually wanted to explore the lane way to see this poem that was printed in the concrete:


After realizing how many amazing things exist in my neighborhood, I started to realize how sometimes getting into one of those ruts of the mind can prevent us from finding poetry in the lane ways. How switching thing up a bit: time of practice, day of practice, kind of practice, place where you mat goes, what you think about while you practice, etc, can really open things up for you in new directions.

We have to stay on our toes, but then again, if you are always staying on your toes, finding the poetry in the lane way may not feel that revelatory.

Thanks BpNichol!

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

Hey!

Jeff and I definitely went on a mission to find that lane last summer, and then poured water in the "lake" part. Jeff says that's what the owner of the publishing company on that lane does every morning.

Jeff also thought you would think it would be creepy if he posted a comment, so I thought I'd clear the path and fully indulge in some creepsteria and say hello. Hellooo!

Adrienne